Calgary Spartans Track & Field Club Membership Info:
We offer two types of club membership:
- Active Members (Peewee to Masters) pay membership fees and work a determined number of bingos as well as a casino every 18 months. They have training, competition and travel privileges.
- Associate Members pay membership fees and have training privileges only.
Our Active Membership option requires members to participate in the Club’s casino and bingo fundraising activities for a lower membership fee and coverage of 50% of the athlete’s meet entry fees, travel, and accommodation. The Spartans’ active members tend to be very ‘active’ athletes as well, competing at a variety of meets within and outside of Alberta. The fundraising incorporated into this option helps bring down the costs associated with travel. Active members work a casino every 18 months and approximately 12 bingos per year (4 for AD athletes). Where possible we try to accommodate any schedule conflicts with bingos by swapping shifts between active members.
Our Associate Membership option allows members to train and compete without the requirement to do fundraising. Instead of working bingos and casinos, associate members pay a higher membership fee and 100% of their own meet entry, travel, and accommodation costs. This membership option is designed to accommodate members and families with busy schedules who don’t have the ability or desire to do fundraising, or for those members who are not planning to do a lot of travel.
Associate Monthly Membership:
Our monthly membership option is available for the Outdoor season, from April through July or August. This is an associate membership. There are no fundraising commitments: monthly associate athletes pay 100% of their own meet entry, travel, and accommodation costs.
Commitments and Obligations
- All Active Members must pay a onetime Volunteer commitment Deposit (one per family) as a guarantee they will fulfill their volunteer duties. The deposit amount is $150 for Athlete Development athletes and $300 for all other athletes. The deposit is carried forward from year to year as long as an athlete remains in good standing with the Club.
- All Active and Associate Members must serve as officials or volunteers at approximately three local track meets annually.
- Athletes who cannot work their assigned bingo must arrange to trade with another athlete or arrange to send a representative in their place.
- Failure to appear at bingo results in a fine of between $100 and $200 to the Club, which will be passed on to the athlete.
- Athletes who fail to work their scheduled bingos, casinos, or track meets forfeit their volunteer deposit. Membership and registration privileges will be suspended until the deposit is repaid.
Bingo and Casino Volunteer Requirements
- Athlete Development ACTIVE athletes: The volunteer requirement is 2 bingos per season (4 bingos for the Full Year program) and one casino depending on the scheduled casino date.
- All other ACTIVE athletes: The volunteer requirement is 6 bingos per season (12 bingos for the Full Year program) and one casino depending on the scheduled casino date.
- ASSOCIATE athletes: No bingo and casino volunteer requirement.
- All members (Associate and Active) are required to volunteer at local track meet. The Volunteers' Coordinator periodically sends email requesting a number of volunteers for specific indoor and outdoor meets. No experience required and lunch/parking is always provided.
- All athletes, active and associate, are subject to athletes’ contributions.
- All athletes, active and associate, entered in an out-of-town meet pay a contribution of up to $25/meet to cover coaches’ travel and accommodation.
- Athlete Development Active athletes: the Club membership includes training, local competition, and all entry fees. The athletes’ contribution is 50% of all entry fees.
- All other Active athletes: the Club membership includes training, competition, travel & accommodation and all entry fees. The athletes’ contribution is 50% of all entry fees and travel & accommodation costs.
- Masters athletes: a cap for reimbursable expenses of a combined total of $1,500 per year for CDN, US or Worlds indoor or outdoor championships is in place.